Google is expanding at a very rapid pace in India. From enabling Indians to use free WiFi on railway stations to the launch of UPI-based Google Tez app last year, Google is targeting India’s exponentially growing internet user base. Google Assistant is already assisting Indians in 8 regional languages as of today. With the launch of Google Neighbourly App in May 2018, Google now plans to move ahead of Facebook and WhatsApp.
Caesar Sengupta, VP of Google’s Next Billion Users Team said that the app will help the users get precise information without any bigger and noisier data which one usually gets in Whatsapp groups or messages. Also, Caesar tweeted to Mumbaikars to check out Google Neighbourly App.
Friends in Mumbai, check out our latest app to get human, helpful, and local answers. #IAmNeighbourly If you want to bring it faster to your city, please sign up for the waitlist. https://t.co/ohab1EWYaA
— Caesar Sengupta (@caesars) May 31, 2018
What is Google Neighbourly App?
Neighbourly App is crowdsourced question and answer app which helps people to get local information by the neighbours. Neighbours are likely to have more information about the locality and they have more experience at ground level. This helps them answer the questions related to a particular locality where they reside. The answers given by the local residents are based on their personal experience and local expertise. This makes Neighbourly a unique app.
Also, this is a social networking app where the user doesn’t have to share much personal information in order to ask a question or answer a question. The app just shows user’s first name and also user’s profile picture cannot be enlarged or stored.
How to use Neighbourly App?
- Download the App from Playstore. iOS variant will be released soon.
- When you open the app, you will be taken to a login screen. You do not have to type any credentials. The app uses the Google account in which you have logged in using the phone. Suppose you have logged in with multiple Google accounts in the device, you will get a drop down list to select the account using which you wish to login.
- Select the account and click on “Continue As Your name” button.
- Once you proceed, Neighbourly will search your location (which it calls as Neighbourhood)
- You can change the neighbourhood too.
- Click on Join.
- Now that you have almost done, you would be redirected to the Neighbourly Promise. Click on Continue.
- After you click on “I Promise” and agree to adhere by the promises, you would be taken to the main page of the app.
- The app has a concept of swiping cards similar to the app Tinder.
- Every card has a question, follow button, flag inappropriate button and the Answer button.
- When you tap on a card, it expands and you can see the various answers to the question. You can like a answer, reply to it, mark it inappropriate, share it and block the user who has answered it.
- Also, you can share the entire question answer share itself.
- In the top left corner, you will find the first alphabet of your name. When you click on it, you will be taken to your profile page which consists of medals you won, questions you followed, asked or answered and a setting button.
Google Neighbourly Voice
One of the interesting feature of the app is Voice. You can ask questions or provide answers by using the Voice feature. Just press on the mic icon and speak. The voice feature is available in local Indian languages and will encourage the masses of India to use it. This will help people to ask questions and give answers in their regional languages without actually typing anything.
Let’s see how the app performs over a period of time and what all features are modified by Google. If you have still not used this neighbourhood app then please do try it and feel free to share anything new which you discover about this app in the comment section.